U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old female asked:

Doc said my uncle has inflammation in his backbone(c1-c4) also has pus.now his lower limb was paralyze. is he going to be alright? wht cause this?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tung Nguyen
Neurosurgery 33 years experience
Serious condition: You are describing a spinal abscess that has affected the spinal cord. This is a very serious condition, with potentially irreversible damage. Abscess can occur from spread from other parts of the body via bloodstream, from adjacent tissue, or from procedures (injections, surgery). Treatments include surgery and appropriate antibiotics. Hopefully your uncle will improve, but no guarantees.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Abdul Ahmed
Orthopedic Surgery 43 years experience
Spine infection: He needs immediate surgery to remove the pus and pressure on the spine. He will be kept on IV antibiotics until the bone infection is resolved. As far as recovery from paralysis is concerned , it depends on the nerve / spinal cord damage. It may recover but it can take some time.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Feb 2, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.