Minneapolis, MN

Is it safe to take metoprolol at night when my heart rate rests at an average of 65bpm? doesn't metoprolol slow my hr? taking meds for pvc's only.

Dr. Mary Callahan
Cardiology 30 years experience
Metoprolol: Yes it is safe to take metoprolol at night. Often it is preferred because one of the side effects is fatigue and it is less likely to make you tired if you are sleeping. You are taking this to suppress your extra beats or palpitations and it should help with those.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Marsha Davis
Yes it is safe: And yes it does slow your heart rate but your heart rate is within safe range not to worry. Taking it at night lessens the possible side effect if tiredness some people might feel so that is a good time to take it.
Last updated Nov 4, 2018