Top answers from doctors based on your search:

when should you go to the er with a toothache

A 28-year-old male asked:
Dr. Daniel Zanger
32 years experience in Cardiology
Toothache : You can but you will wait a long time and not get great service consider advil (ibuprofen) and an appointment for a dentist.
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
A 26-year-old female asked:
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience in Dentistry
Orajel: Not necessary to worry about it. It's just a topical anesthetic and the amount ingested should pose no problem.
A 47-year-old male asked:
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience in Dentistry
Unless : Unless the er at the hospital has a dentist who can treat you in the er, the physicians may give you antibiotics and pain meds. You need to see a de ... Read More
2 thanks
A 12-year-old male asked:
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience in Dentistry
Face hurts: When was his last dental check-up? Assuming no bumps or bruises that you don't know about, I would suggest a visit to the dentist (Pedodonist or Gener ... Read More
1 thank
A 45-year-old female asked:
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
35 years experience in Dentistry
Tooth abcess: Most ERs do not have dentists. It is better to see a dentist when you have an abcessed tooth because the ER can only treat the infection with antibi ... Read More
1 thank
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Aleks Radovic
6 years experience in Emergency Medicine
If it is just: urinary discomfort and suggestive to a UTI, it can wait until tomorrow. If you are experiencing fevers, sweats, chills, flank pains, I would go to the ... Read More
A 45-year-old member asked:
Dr. David Orringer
19 years experience in General Surgery
No: The best place to get help for a toothache is with a dentist. More and more, you will find urgent care dental practices. You may have a significant ... Read More
8 thanks
A 54-year-old member asked:
Dr. Bennett Machanic
51 years experience in Neurology
Seldom: The er is critical if there is consideration for hospitalization, surgery, or a life-threatening problem. Although severe headaches may require an in ... Read More
A 39-year-old member asked:
Dr. Ronald Shaw
Specializes in Emergency Medicine
Asap: Symptoms of UTI are burning, urinating more often and lower abdominal pain. If the pain spreads to your back or your have fever you may have a kidney ... Read More
A 51-year-old member asked:
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali answered
31 years experience in Psychiatry
Migraine: If current treatment is not bringing relief & symptoms are worsening!
1 thank
A 50-year-old male asked:
Dr. Tarek Hamid
8 years experience in Dentistry
No: In most cases they'll give you antibiotice and pain meducations to calm the pain tell you see your regular dentist for further treatment options.
1 thank
A 56-year-old member asked:
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Drink lots of water: And go to urgent care in am. Azo can interfere with urinalysis ; urine culture.
A 22-year-old female asked:
Dr. Bruce Jacobs
Specializes in Family Medicine
Dr's office is: cheaper and they can order xray if one is needed. Both can diagnose shoulder injuries..
1 thank
A 36-year-old male asked:
Dr. Victor Bonuel
37 years experience in Internal Medicine
Go to an urgent care: It's cheaper than er if you have fever with sorethroat -?Pharyngitis from a viral or bacterial, fever with coughing-?Bronchitis, pneumonia, fever ... Read More
1 thank
A 41-year-old member asked:
Dr. Scott Bolhack
34 years experience in Wound care
Lymphedema: Lymphedema is usually not an emergency as it is progressive and rarely requires emergent care. The typical er physician is not expert, per se, in this ... Read More
1 comment
A 20-year-old female asked:
Dr. Austina Cho
25 years experience in Psychiatry
Not life threatening: If you are physically healthy and have no underlying heart disease and do not abuse drugs, then you probably don't need to go to a hospital when you h ... Read More
1 thank
A 48-year-old member asked:
Dr. Nela Cordero
53 years experience in Pediatrics
BROKEN FINGER: It is ok to wait until the next day.
A 63-year-old female asked:
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
28 years experience in Allergy and Immunology
1 week: If it has been more than a week.
A 29-year-old female asked:
Dr. Devon Webster
21 years experience in Medical Oncology
When you can't drink: In healthy people, vomiting for 24-48 hours can be treated at home by drinking small amounts of liquids at frequent intervals. Try gingerale. Warning ... Read More
1 thank
A 47-year-old member asked:
Dr. Christopher Dowd
19 years experience in Internal Medicine
Sometimes: Depending on what the problem is, you might be referred to a specialist, to a primary care doctor, or the er doctor him/herself might be able to addre ... Read More
1 thank
A 46-year-old member asked:
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
24 years experience in Ophthalmology
Eye pain: It is best to see an eyeMD as they have the microscopes needed to evaluate all parts of eye properly. If none available and pain is severe go to ER: m ... Read More
A 42-year-old female asked:
Dr. Frank Kuitems
38 years experience in Internal Medicine
Go to ER: People should go to ER if they swallow any non food object
A 26-year-old female asked:
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao answered
45 years experience in Hospital-based practice
Pneumonia: Most pneumonia can be treated at home with medications. If the fever is over 102, white cell count elevation, shortness of breath with falling oxygen ... Read More
A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
37 years experience in Family Medicine
Depends on…: Location of burn & how large an area is involved. Burns of face, hands, joints, genital areas can be more serious than those of other areas. Large bur ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits