U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Woodland Hills, CA
A 42-year-old female asked:

Is there any one sure way to get my pp in control.am taking 2000mg metformin, 4mg glimperide daily.walking too for 35 to 40 mins but its not brisk.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Ward Dean
Holistic Medicine 44 years experience
Yes--: I assume "PP" is post-prandial blood sugar? In addition to the Metformin and the daily walks (good job), I recommend discontinuing the glimeperide. Sulfonylureas put a squeeze on the pancrease, (pancrelipase) causing the release of insulin, which makes it difficult to lose weight, and wears out the pancreas. I recommend adding Acarbose (starch blocker) to every meal, and reducing carbohydrates.
Dr. Ward Dean
Dr. Ward Dean commented
Holistic Medicine 44 years experience
Provided original answer
In addition, I recommend a glucagon-like peptide 1 agonist like Byetta, Victoza, Byedureon, etc. If you're still high, add Invokana, which inceases glucose excretion. Finally, you may need insulin--but that should be the last choice. Avoid sulfonylureas.
May 17, 2015
Last updated May 17, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.