U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 49-year-old female asked:

How do i treat bleeding and pain caused by anal fissures? my stools are softer but i have to work too hard to pass them. theres a lot of blood too

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Earle
General Surgery 32 years experience
Colorectal surgeon: I would see a colorectal surgeon. You may also need a colonoscopy. Sometimes a fissure will respond to Nitroglycerin based topical creams, sometimes an operation is required. It will all work out though, an you should be fine.
Dr. Jay Stylman
General Surgery 39 years experience
Patience: Few treatment are effective for the short term pain of anal fissures. Some benefit from warm soaks, topical anesthetic creams, etc. Medications to relieve the muscle spasm can be prescribed, as well as Botox injections and surgery in severe cases.
Dr. Daniel Conway
General Surgery 37 years experience
Keeping your stools soft with a bulk forming laxative, using such medications as topical streroid creams or nitroglycerin ointment helps
Dec 8, 2012
Dr. Daniel Conway
General Surgery 37 years experience
But if medical therapy fails after several weeks, you should consider a lateral anal sphincterotomy. This is curative over 95% of cases
Dec 8, 2012

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jun 30, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.