U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

Is it something serious and what should i have done there is an oozing cyst at the end of my tail bone where the crack of my butt starts. it has been like that for quite some time and i have had it lanced before and it came back years ago but now it has a

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Arden
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 38 years experience
This : This sounds like a pilonidal cyst that may have abscessed and spontaneously draining. Typically, for recurrent or complicated cysts like this, surgical management needs to be considered. Discuss this further with your dermatologist.
Dr. Chris Oh
Dr. Chris Ohanswered
Internal Medicine 22 years experience
It : It sounds like an infected cyst - a common area for those to form. You would need to see a doctor for antibiotics and possibly to have it drained surgically.
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics 35 years experience
This : This does sounds like a pilonidal cyst. If it doesn't respond to a simple drainage procedure, it may need to be excised. This is most commonly performed by a general surgeon.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 4, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.