NJ

if benadeyl is sedating and induces sleep why isn't it used for anxiety? you can't be anxious if your sleeping right?

Dr. Gerald Neuberg
Cardiology 38 years experience
Day or night?: Sleeping at night is good but you can't function well during the day (or drive safely) if you're sleepy. So there are better ways to address anxiety such as exercise, relaxation techniques, counselling, and specific medication.
Dr. Jared Adams
General Practice 11 years experience
Benadryl (diphenhydramine): True, but then you're not living either. The goal of anti-anxiety drugs are to help people with a condition lead fulfilling lives, not put them in coma.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
It is: You are correct. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can be sedating and it can even help with anxiety without making someone go to sleep.
Dr. David Fink
Better options: Many otc medications that help you fall asleep contain Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or another sedating antihistamine. They are not that great for anxiety because they can make you too sleepy. There is a prescription medication called Hydroxyzine which has antihistamine effects but is safer for anxiety, and there are other medications specifically indicated for anxiety. Talk with your pcp.