Amelia Court House, VA

My oral surgeon said that i had a scar tissue after my oral surgery to get 2 abscessed teeth extracted. could this be a possibility and could it stop my mouth from opening?

Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dentistry 52 years experience
When: When was your oral surgery and which teeth were removed?
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Irving Lebovics
Specializes in Prosthodontics
Maybe: It depends where the scar tissue is. Most likely the reason you have difficulty opening is from a neuromuscular spasm from being open for a long time during the procedureor from some other TMJ problem. Have the dentist check it out.
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dentistry - Prosthodontics 20 years experience
Maybe / unrelated: It is certainly possible that you may have scar tissue which remained following the removal of some abscessed teeth. However, it is not likely the reason you are having trouble 'opening' your mouth. The likely reason is that during the procedure you had to open wide and you probably just strained your ligaments. Using warm compresses and slowly massaging the joints should help. Good luck.
Dr. Talib Najjar
9 years experience
No: Persistant submandibular infection may be the cause.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014