United Kingdom (Great Britain)

I am on trifluoperazine and works for my panics what antidepressant works well with it and wont make my anxiety worse?

Dr. Donald Jacobson
41 years experience
Nortrptyline: I am glad to hear that your trifluoperazine is working well. We really don't have any data on the newer antidepressants and the use of trifluoperazine. I am an older psychiatrist however and used to prescribe nortriptyline with trifluoperazine. Since you have panic it is important to start a low dose on the nortriptyline, say 10 mg a day and gradually increased as tolerated into the therapeutic drug range which is between 50 and 150 ng/ml. Of course do not do anything without discussing this with your own psychiatrist first.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Antidepressants: You are on an antipsychotic medication, not typically used for anxiety attacks alone. Some other symptoms must be happening also for your doctor to prescribe this. Several antidepressants also have anti-anxiety effects, usually ssri's like citalopram and sertraline. Please with your doctor if your symptoms continue to trouble you.

Last updated Sep 12, 2013