how long does it take for me to reep the benefits of fluoximine ? and is it a good drug for anxiety?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Alfredo Soto
25 years experience Psychiatry
Depends and yes: Fluoxamine, or luvox, (fluvoxamine) is the most effective ssri for anxiety because it binds the strongest to the serotonin reuptake receptors. That said, it also tends to carry more side effects than other ssri's, which is why it is usually only used for severe anxiety disorders. Like other ssri's, it can take up to 4 weeks to work, depending on the dose and the nature of your anxiety.
Answered on Sep 22, 2016
4
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
Fluoxetine?: I'm guessing you might mean fluoxetine, the generic name for prozac. Yes, it's a helpful medicine for anxiety. Generally it takes 4-6 weeks for effectiveness -- sometimes a little longer. Results are better if the the person taking it is also in psychotherapy for his or her anxiety or depression.
Answered on Sep 13, 2013
2
2 comments
1
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
Provided original answer
Thank you for your contribution, Dr. Ali.
Sep 7, 2013
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali commented
31 years experience Psychiatry
If u meant fluvoxamine (luvox), it might take up to 6 weeks, especially for obsessive compulsive anxiety disorder.
Sep 7, 2013