Stage 4 cirrhosis of the liver my stepmother lives with me and is in stage 4 cirrhosis of the liver. she was a heavy drinker (no longer drinking) and a prescription drug abuser. i take xanax for anxiety. she has told me that her doctor said it was okay if

Dr. Robert Andrews
Interventional Radiology 36 years experience
No, : No, it is not safe for your stepmother to take your medications, regardless of what they are. If her doctor wants her to take something, he or she will prescribe it for her.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
You give her yours?: Don't believe it. No ethical or competent physician would ever tell anyone to take someone else's medication. People with histories of alcohol are at very high risk of abusing benzos, and especially xanax, (alprazolam) which has a very high abuse potential. If a doctor wants to prescribe anti-anxiety agents for her, there are far safer ones for her, and she needs to get her own medication from her own md.

Last updated May 12, 2020