U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Portland, OR
A 47-year-old female asked:

I can no longer take xannax or similar drugs for anxiety. because of pain contract. is there anything you suggest i can take instead?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jonathan Shedler
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
"Take?": You are assuming the solution is to "take" something. If you suffer from ongoing anxiety, something is going on psychologically. You would do well to consider psychotherapy, not just medication. Psychotherapy is effective treatment for anxiety. Antidepressant medication (e.g., an ssri like Prozac (fluoxetine) or zoloft) is often helpful for anxiety and may help y, but medication alone is not optimal treatment.
Dr. Stephen Kaufman
60 years experience
Seoquel: Try seroquel (quetiapine) 25mg 2 or 3 times per day. Or visteril 25 mg 2 or 3 times/day.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jun 30, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.