U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old male asked:

I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia. symptoms=acid reflux, bad breath etc. any thing i can do to help treat the hernia while i wait for the doctor ?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Amy Levine
Radiology 23 years experience
Surgical problem: The only way to treat a hiatal hernia is with surgery. However, there are many over the counter medicines that can treat the symptoms of reflux (tums, pepcid, (famotidine) prilosec, etc).
Dr. David Martin
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery 28 years experience
Reflux: Try raising the head of your bed on bricks, block, books or yellow pages. About four inches is fine. It gets your throat above your stomach so acid won't run uphill while you sleep.
Dr. Milton Mintz
A Verified Doctoranswered
undefined 67 years experience
Over counter proton : Prilosec", but do not neglect appt with your pcp.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Aug 19, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.