i have add and a anxiety disorder . i have a hard time with multilple task with remembering . i wounder if ritalin (methylphenidate) or something else would help thank?

5 doctor answers
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Maybe: On the other hand, Ritalin (methylphenidate) and other amphetamine type drugs are likely to make your anxiety worse. You should talk with your doctor about other treatment options.
Answered on Jul 1, 2014
24 years experience Psychiatry
Consider this...: It may, however sometimes stimulants can increase anxiety symptoms. Anxiety can also impact your ability to remember. Have you tried selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for your anxiety?What about cognitive behavioral therapy? Do you practices deep breathing exercises or progressive muscle relaxation? Discuss these options with your doctor.
Answered on Sep 11, 2013
Dr. John Munshower
Possible: Anxiety and concentration issues that accompany add/adhd are often interrelated and you need to discuss with your dr or psychiatrist as there are several tests/questionnaires that can easily determine if you may be a good candidiate for add/adhd treatment as wll as your anxiety. Best wishes to you.E.
Answered on Feb 26, 2020
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Challenging combo: I am going to assume you have what you say, but you need a psychiatrist with this combination of conditions. Obviously you should be in therapy to gain as much cognitive control over your symptoms as you can and practice meditation, yoga , exercise, and a very healthy diet. Accupuncture can be a healthy addition. Medicinally, i would recommend Luvox for the ocd and panic. Try to very slowly come off the xanax (alprazolam). That should be an extremely slow taper spread over months necessary. If you still have add symptoms, because sometimes it's not clear exactly which is primary or secondary condition or which might be a satellite condition meaning that it is due to the primary condition. In other words, your ocd could be treated and the add might go away. The opposite is also true. However, sometimes you simply have both. For add or adhd in the context of ocd i would give strattera a try first. If that doesn't work then a trial of wellbutrin would be worthwhile. If none of those work then a psychostimulant such as Adderall or Ritalin in extended-release form could be more optimal for you. I hope this helps and i wish you the very best.
Answered on Nov 28, 2017
Dr. Caroline Cribari
22 years experience Psychiatry
ADD, anxiety & Trt: Stimulants like Ritalin (methylphenidate) can improve attention deficit disorder related reduced concentration, but stimulants can increase anxiety. You can get a genetic test (e.g. Genesight by assurexhealth.Com) using a cheek swab to identify what psychiatric medications (stimulants, antidepressants and atypical neuroleptics) you are more likely to tolerate and respond. Ask your doctor to use such a test for you.
Answered on May 8, 2016
1
1
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Is this covered by insurance? How reliable is the test for multiple conditions. Does it actually check for tolera bility or just for Rapid, intermediate, and slow metabolism status.
Aug 31, 2013