what do the experts think, should my braces ever stop cutting the inside of my mouth?

Dr. Kevin Owoc
Prosthodontics 19 years experience
Yes: Unfortunately, having bands and wires in the mouth can very commonly cause this complaint. Often, the orthodontist can simply remove a tiny piece of wire that is causing the problem. Sometimes, the brackets can be smoothed as well. Finally, you may wish to try using dental wax. Your orthodontist can provide you with this. It will help prevent cutting your gums as well. Finally, stay hydrated.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Yes: In the meantime: 1. Ask your orthodontic specialist to check your braces to make sure there are no annoying "stickers" that he/she can reshape for you. 2. Take 1 200mg ibuprofen/advil/motrin with food or lots of liquid 4x/day. 3. Rinse 3x/day with 1 tsp salt in 8oz warm water. Do not swallow. 4. Apply orthodontic wax to "sticker." 5. With q-tip dab orabase-b onto sore spot.