India

I fear i was given steroids to put on weight; it has resulted in me putting on weight. will the effect of steroids wear off?

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
Steroids are danger: Wow. I am very surprised. I would get a second opinion about this from another physician. Yes, the steroid will wear off but the complications from steroid therapy may not.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Steroid effect: Not sure what you were given and for how long. Most short courses of steroids don't cause weight gain. But, to answer your question - yes, the effect should wear off over time and you should be able to go back to your pre treatment weight.
Dr. Oscar Novick
Weight: It may take a while to lose the extra poundage. You can help by exercising.
Dr. John Hanna
Yes: Steroid can cause increase in water retention and an increase in appetite. When you stop the steroids your appetite should return to normal fairly quickely. You will then need to exercise to lose the weight gained.

Last updated Sep 28, 2016