Las Vegas, NV

I have temporal arteritis doctor said i should only worry about headaches on side of my temple. headaches else where shouldn't worry me but they do i am unsure about when to increase steroids fear of blindness.?

Dr. Yale Kanter
Ophthalmology 61 years experience
Temporal arteritis: The dose of steroids is controlled by the level of the sed rate (esr), as the elevation declines the steroids can be gradually reduced. If it elevates as the dose is reduced then it has to be increased for a longer time. The doctor controls the change in dose, not the patient.
Dr. Bradley Thomas
Vascular Surgery 19 years experience
Biopsy?: Depending on how long you've been on steriods you may want to consider a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. The longer you've been treated the more likely you are to have a less helpful - false negative - result. Your doctor may also follow some blood work (ESR) to see how you are responding to treatment.

Last updated Jul 28, 2019