does having the mthfr gene mutation put me at risk for life threatning illness more than the average person? is there anything i can do 2 help

3 doctor answers
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
72 years experience Preventive Medicine
Good question: This mutation affects an important biochemical function that will prevent the normal use of folic acid, a vitamin. Study of the chemistry is complex but ask your doctor for folinic acid since that becomes the missing factor.
Answered on Aug 1, 2013
1
Dr. Su Fairchild
23 years experience Integrative Medicine
Depends: Depends on which mutation you have, and if you have one or two mutations. Having two copies of the 677 mutation is a bigger deal than having one copy of the 1298. The 677 and 1298 mutations are each treated differently. But yes, there is help for them.
Answered on Sep 15, 2013
43 years experience Pathology
Answer's not in: This testing is promoted by a single lab and while there's some interesting data, you need to remember that a majority of people will get an "abnormal result". Rather than take the pricey vitamins that they'll try to sell you, I'd focus on staying fit and eating sensibly -- you lifestyle DOES make a huge difference as far as health goes. Best wishes.
Answered on Jun 9, 2015