McDonough, GA

if your taking an antibotic for a tooth abscess can it still spread to your neck and brain.

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
Not likely: The reason you are taking an antibiotic is to kill all of the bacteria causing your infection. So that should not happen. But all antibiotics are not effective against all infections. If your pain and swelling are increasing, this means the antibiotic you are taking is not working against your infection. Call your dentist asap and let them know this and the antibiotic will be changed.
Dr. Joel Piehl
Periodontics 51 years experience
Not likely: Sometimes if the infection is large and has no way to drain it is possible the antibiotic is not going to be sufficient.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Possibly..: .. But unlikely. The antibiotics just treat the symptoms, your dentist treats the tooth that is causing the problem. The sooner the problem is addressed, the less the chance for complications.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Dental Infections: While technically possible, if you are taking a prescribed antibiotic with proper dose and frequency, the potential of its spread to the neck is unlikely and to the brain relatively rare. Proper dental supervision limits the chances of more serious complications.