my parents have diabetes. i want to loose weight. my fasting blood sugar is on the higher side. can i take metformin as preventive medicine? how long?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Arold Augustin
Diabetes: Certainly, you could. However, losing weight would be a better goal.
Answered on Jan 29, 2015
2
2 comments
Dr. David Duncan m.d.
It is important to get your weight and your blood sugar normal as quickly as possible and keep them there. The proper diet, lots of vegies, and fruits with 100 grams of protein limited carbs and daily exercise will get you there. If you take metformin at first and it gets you there quicker I certainly have no problem with it as an add on as long as you get to goal and stop it when it is no longe
Jan 29, 2015
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna commented
Loosing weight,proper low carb diet,exercise and repear A1c hemoglobin and metformin only if life style modification unsuccessfull
Nov 7, 2013
Dr. David Sneid
41 years experience Endocrinology
Check w/your doctor: It sounds like you already have diabetes or at least prediabetes, and metformin plus diet and exercise would be an acceptable treatment for either disorder.
Answered on Oct 6, 2013
1