I'm taking 50 mg per day of metformin for type 2 diabetes. my after meal blood sugar levels are sometimes between 190-210. is that a problem?

Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 41 years experience
Yes: Do you mean 500 mg? There is no 50 mg metformin pill. The most effective dose is 1000 mg twice daily with meals to avoid GI upset. It has to be taken twice/day as effects only last 12 hours. Increase by 500/day per week until reaching 2000/day if tolerated. Or else there is time release which works better for some people.
Dr. Aaron Neinstein
Yes: You probably mean 500 mg per day, as it does not come in 50mg pills. This is a very low dose of metformin. Also, it depends how long after your meal you are measuring your blood sugar. Typically we like to use the 2 hour post-meal blood sugar. If your 2 hour post-meal blood sugar is 200, that is too high and you do need to address it with your doctor to work on getting that lower.

Last updated Mar 29, 2020