A member asked:

What kind of pills or treatment can somebody get for hyperthyroidism?

1 doctor answer6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specializes in Endocrinology
Options: There are pills to treat the thyroid function and there are pills to help with the symptoms. To treat the thyroid, you have ptu (propylthiouracil) or methimazole. The dose is different for different people/size/severity of the disease. To help with the symptoms, a beta-blocker is usually used: propranolo, metoprolol...Radioactive pill can also be used to treat hyperthyroidism. In all cases, you need a physician.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. Robert Lang commented
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology 54 years experience
Surgery is another option and if you are interested in that, find a surgeon that does minimally invasive thyroid surgery and has done many cases. With minimally invasive surgery the recovery time is much faster than with standard surgery and the risks are extremely small with an experienced surgeon.
Mar 5, 2012
Last updated Sep 28, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.