Decatur, IL

im not receiving therapy for bipolar treatment. should i be? or only meds required?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Yes, therapy too: Medications are necessary in bipolar disorder. In most situations these days though, your visits with the psychiatrist are very brief and spread out ("med check" visits). These can be supportive, but do not leave time for working on life difficulties that can arise with bipolar disorder. Working with a therapist will help you develop your life skills and self-care, among other necessary things.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Bipolar: Success rates are higher when medications are combined with psychotherapy, both individual as wewll as group therapy.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
It depends: If you are stable, have been in therapy and are not stressed and you know your triggers for your illness well enough to seek immediate help upon relapse, have a stable psychosocial system and hopefully are gainfully employed, then you probably don't need therapy. Otherwise you may find therapy to be helpful with dealing with stress, relationships, and in helping you to prevent relapse. It can greatly improve the quality of a person's life and relationships.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali commented
I respectfully disagree. Refer to my previous answer. MaintenanceTherapy is essential to prevent relapse, prevent recurrence, maintain recovery & provide added support & education to maintain compliance.
Aug 22, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
It depends upon the person. I have stable patients who had plenty of therapy over the years who no longer need therapy except in a crisis. If you've had thirty years of stability on Lithium, I don't think you are a candidate for therapy unless a psychosocial crisis arises. Therapy is a very precious resource and it is expensive. I have had twenty years of therapy myself. I will return when I need It. However, if everyone with every condition relied on therapy as well as medication I can guarantee you that there would not be enough therapists to go around. Therapy should be used wisely and as the Very precious resource that it is. It should not be Become a one-size-fits-all treatment.
Aug 22, 2013