United Kingdom (Great Britain)

is it possible to have clear mri scans after diagnosis of ms ? after positive spinal tap and lesions on early scans

Dr. John Weeks
Yes: Hopefully a sign you're in remission.
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine 52 years experience
Yes: 5 percent of patients with ms do not have lesions detected on mri. Most diagnoses made by history and physical exam. Evoked potentials and spinal tap detecting protein are other possible clues to diagnosis
Dr. Kamran Janjua
Radiology 22 years experience
Very unusual: Ms plaques can go into remission with treatment, but the likelihood of ms plaques completely disappearing from a brain MRI after lesions have been seen on prior MRI scans is very low. Usually, once they are seen on a scan, they do not generally "disappear" on a later scan even if symptoms are successfully treated. They leave a "trace" of their former presence, but they do not cause trouble.
Dr. Christopher Wilson
Sleep Medicine 21 years experience
I agree. Really rare. Seen it once and I know my patient has MS but it makes me question my own diagnosis.
Jun 25, 2013
Neurology 52 years experience
Surprising: Assume you had documented diagnosis years ago. MS can "burn out" in rare circumstances, but usually you would have some lesions persisting, as the T-2 lesions rarely if ever fade. Absence of lesions at this point suggest that you do NOT have MS.