Effort, PA

is it safe to take wellbutrin sr and xanax (alprazolam) together daily and can i take them at the same time? i'm also worried about my seizures. will i be ok?

Dr. Andrew Reeves
Neurology 30 years experience
Usually Ok: But you really need to have good communication with your prescribing doctor. All drugs have risks and side effects. All. But... Not taking meds has effects, too! so, you and your doctor need to with the pros and cons.
Dr. Gary Greenly
Yes: Wellbutrin, is a commonly prescribed antidepressant, now gone generic due to age. Xanax (alprazolam) is also "well aged" and is available in the generic form Alprazolam wellbutrin, as is the case with all rx drugs, must report every possible side effect. Dont read the package insert and follow your drs advise. The combination should be fine and work well. My advise is to not read the package insert, .
Dr. Bassam Amawi
I agree with other : Doctors , that u can take both of them , but I do not advise u to take xanax (alprazolam) on daily basis , to avoid addictions.
Dr. James Okamoto
Yes if no seizures: Wellbutrin (bupropion) is generally a safe medication, however i would not take it if there is a personal history of seizures, as it can lower what is known as the seizure threshold. I.E. If you are prone to seizures, this medication will make it easier to have a seizure. If you have never had seizures before, then i would not worry about it.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
San X and Wellbutrin maybe taken together at the same time. One of the dangers with the combination however is that if you ever suddenly run out of Xanax and are still on Wellbutrin then your risk of seizures goes up greatly. For my patients I don't like to use this combination generally and prefer to use a medication with a long half-life such as Clonopin or Valium.
Dec 17, 2013
Dr. James Okamoto
Provided original answer
Dr. Jacobson has a good point. If you are needing to take a benzodiazepine on a daily basis, you should never stop suddenly. If you decide to lower the dose or discontinue the medicine, you should always do so under the direction of your physician to avoid side effects.
Dec 17, 2013

Last updated Nov 5, 2020