I broke my foot (1st medial cuneiform) a week ago i had my cast removed still can not walk on it i have pain & swollen> is it normal & for how long ?

Dr. Marc Feder
undefined 44 years experience
Yes. : Of course it is normal. No one can heal fractured bone in only one week's time. Get back to the doctor and follow up for proper treatment to avoid lifelong problems.
Dr. Frank Smith
Podiatry 29 years experience
Broke foot : It takes foot bones 6 weeks to heal when they get fractured so you will need it in some type of cast for 6 weeks its painful because its not healed and its swollen because its not heald.
Dr. Iris Drey
undefined 29 years experience
It will improve with: It can be difficult to walk on an extremity immediately after a cast is removed. Usually a shortt course of physical therapy will help.
Dr. Randy Bernstein
Podiatry 37 years experience
6-8 weeks: Midfoot fractures can take 6 to 8 weeks or more to heal, depending on the severity of the break. The very least treatment should be non-weight bearing cast x 2 weeks, followed by weight bearing cast for another 2 to 6 week depending on the severity. The medial cuneiform is a tough bone to break. Weight bearing puts a high amount of stress through the area. Surgery might be needed.
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Podiatry 35 years experience
Cuneiform: As stated this type of fracture takes at least 6 weeks to heal . Get back to your treating physician asap

Last updated Sep 6, 2020