TN

I fractured my ankle i think it is fibula almost six weeks ago still in cast but when i walk it swell's bad and hurts to the point i have to lay and elevate is this normal? also it hurts worse on the other side of ankle wise than fractured side?

Neurology 52 years experience
If your healing process is not proceeding as planned, it is appropriate to contact your orthopedic surgeon and get this re-evaluated. In some cases Complex Regional Pain Syndrome may interfere with recovery, and if this is present, you need diagnosis and intervention ASAP. Hope this can be reversed readily.
Dr. Steven Brown
Hand Surgery 39 years experience
Yes will have reactive swelling even with anatomical reduction for up to 6 months and walking or standing will increase edema resulting in increased pain on both sides of the ankle

Last updated May 28, 2021