United Kingdom

how and why is there an increase in urobilinogen levels in hepatocellular dysfunctions like alcoholic liver disease, cirrhosis and malignancy of liver?

Dr. Alexander Barkan
General Surgery 24 years experience
Obstruction: When the liver is prevented from doing it's job due to disease it shows itself through elevation of certain chemicals in the blood because it is being blocked by physical disruption of the anatomy and bile goes into the blood causing yellowing of the skin ( jaundice).
Pathology 44 years experience
Tricky concept: Urobilinogen is actually generated from the pigment in the feces and diffuses back into the bloodstream. Normally the liver removes it and puts it back in the gut. If the liver's not working hard enough, some will end up in the urine. It's a helpful bit of information.