is stag 1 cirrhosis of the liver (due to alcohol) considered cancer. my meld (model for end stage liver disease) score is 9-10 according to my doctor?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Walter Klein
20 years experience Pathology
No: Cirrhosis is not cancer. It is considered an end-stage fibrotic (scarring) process of liver following injury due to a variety of causes (alcohol, hepatitis c or b, biliary disease and a few other less common causes. It does put you at risk though of getting liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma). I am confused though by what you state: do you have stage 1 fibrosis or stage 4 (cirrhosis)?
Answered on Feb 21, 2019
3
Dr. Andres Katz
48 years experience Vascular Surgery
No: Liver cancer is a complication of hepatitis whether alcohol, infectious or other source. Nodular hyperplasia is a result of liver damage and difficult to differentiate from hepatocellular carcinoma. There are markers in the blood and ct/mri tests that can help. Eventually a biopsy may clarifiy the diagnosis.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
2