Saint Charles, MO

paxil (paroxetine) 30mgs for 4mos. switched to zoloft 1wk ago. no taper. high anxiety, crying, nauseous, no appetite, trouble sleeping. is this paxil (paroxetine) withdrawal?

Dr. Austina Cho
Yes: Paxil (paroxetine) is an ssri antidepressant with a short half life of about a day. You can certainly experience withdrawal from the med, if it is stopped abruptly. Zoloft is an ssri as well and it can help alleviate the withdrawal, but it should be at an adequate dose. You should speak to your physician about your symptoms.
Dr. Dori Middleman
Find out.Take Paxil!: Withdrawal from Paxil (paroxetine) can cause all these physical symptoms. Zoloft could be an adequate substitute, but the dose would have to be comparable to the 30mg of paxil (paroxetine), (paroxetine) say 100-150mg. There is no harm and much potential gain in adding back either half or the whole 30mg paxil (paroxetine). If the cause is withdrawal, you will feel better in 24 hours. Then taper Paxil (paroxetine) slowly while also increasing zoloft.
Likely so.: SSRI discontinuation syndrome symptoms may include: flu-like sx’s, insomnia, nightmares, vivid dreams, anxiety, tearfulness, depressed mood, confusion, irritability, restless legs, tremors, nausea, vomiting, cramps, loose stools, loss of appetite, dizziness, unsteady gait, flushing, sweating, headache, lethargy, imbalance, vertigo, ringing in ears, hypersensitivity to noise, sensation of electric
Provided original answer
shocks & other sensory disturbances, & hyperarousal. Usually symptoms resolve in 1 to 2 weeks.
May 20, 2017