i have an arachnoid cyst and a chiari 1 malformation. how will a neurosurgeon know which one is causing my tinitus, dizziness, and nausea?

Dr. Tung Nguyen
Neurosurgery 31 years experience
Working diagnosis: It depends on the location of the cyst, the extent of the chiari malformation on mri, what other symptoms you might have (difficulty swallowing, arm/legs symptoms, reflex changes). You might need an evaluation by an ear-nose-throat surgeon to see if there is a problem with the hearing and balance nerves. It becomes about choosing the most likely explanation after all the info are available.
Dr. Kevin Teal
Neurosurgery 30 years experience
Cyst Location: Unless the arachnoid cyst is in the area called your posterior fossa , the back of your skull area, the dizziness would more likely be related to a chiari. The tinnitus should be assessed by ENT with hearing test. The nausea if it is exertional may be a sign of vertigo or due to the chiari if associated with a headache. I agree you need some workup to tease things out.