experiencing major ptsd sx's, w hypervigilance. how can i help myself feel safe? not sleeping, going crazy bc of this!

4 doctor answers
Dr. Alessandra Bertolucci
32 years experience Ophthalmology
Needs to see a Doc: There are behavioral treatment that work well. Seek professional help.
Answered on Jul 22, 2015
1
24 years experience Psychiatry
Seek evaluation: Please take care of yourself by seeking out a comprehensive assessment by either a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist who is experienced in working with ptsd. Your symptoms are treatable.
Answered on May 12, 2016
1
1
Dr. Umee Davae
Dr. Umee Davae commented
16 years experience Psychiatry
I agree. The symptoms are treatable with the help of psychotherapy and certain psychotropic medications to help you sleep better and help reduce the anxiety related to the PTSD.
Jul 24, 2015
Dr. Beverly Dexter
24 years experience Clinical Psychology
PTSD: Hypervigilance is a normal response to a threat, and some of the physical sx you note are common after trauma. Is the Trazodone actually working for you?If not see your doc for med re-eval or dose change. Also if you are having severe pain have you seen a pain specialist?Many sx will resolve when the traumatic memories are neutral(this ABSOLUTELY is possible) but don't suffer in silence, see yr do
Answered on Apr 23, 2016
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
22 years experience Clinical Psychology
Support: I agree. A diagnostic evaluation and treatment plan is the first place to start. Establishing safety within yourself and within your environment can take some time, but tends to move along more quickly with professional guidance and the support of trustworthy others. How long it will take for you to feel safe again depends on your personality, life experiences, and your pre-trauma baseline.
Answered on Jul 31, 2016