as a type 2 diabetic i'm told that a 7.0 a1c level is acceptable. is that correct?

Dr. Diane Hallinen
Emergency Medicine 29 years experience
Yes, sort of: An A1c of 7 statistically is good enough, but if you can lower by exercise, eating better and being perfect with your medications, you will probably do better. Exercise is probably the single most important thing you have direct control over.
Dr. Jennie Law
Endocrinology 14 years experience
Generally yes: Guidelines rec. Goal of A1c <7% in general, although if you can get it lower without causing lows (bgs<70 mg/dl), then even lower is good. The key is if you can do it without lows, bc lows can be bad for you too, if severe- can be very dangerous. If u are only on metformin or januvia (sitagliptin) or med that doesn't cause lows, and u can further lower ur A1c to 6.5% by cutting out candy and walking, great!
Dr. Holly Barth
Dr. Holly Barth answered
General Practice 9 years experience
Yes: The goal for diabetic patients is an A1c of 7% or less. Agreed.
Dr. Maureen Mays
Specializes in Clinical Lipidology
Disagree! For the prevention of cardiovascular disease, which is the #1 complication of diabetes, your HbA1C should be under 6.5%. Am Diab Assoc says 7.0, but Am Soc of Endocrinologists says 6.5%. Fact is, the lower (closer to normal) the better for heart attack, stroke, etc.
Mar 26, 2012
Dr. Alvin Mathew
<6.5% for AACE, < 7% for ADA. You need to balance both hyper and hypoglycemia. Depending on risk factors, hypoglycemia can be very detrimental to someone's health. Talk to your doctor. The goal is individualized to you.
Mar 26, 2012