Following my wisdom tooth extraction my submandibular salivary gland is swollen is this normal?

Dr. Theodore Grellner
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 50 years experience
It might be one of..: ... The lymph nodes close to the submandibular gland that is swollen due to the surgery. Since the mouth is populated with many bacteria, the wisdom tooth surgery introduces bacteria into the tissues and blood stream that will be "caught" by the lymph nodes. If it is the salivary gland that is swollen, it might have absorbed pressure while your jaw was stabilized for the surgery. Apply heat.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Milner
Dentistry - Cosmetic 34 years experience
Gland Swelling?: After extractions swelling is normal in many areas of the mouth. Glands, muscles, joint area, and tongue have all been known to swell. If the swelling persists past 7 days or is painful on light pressure after 4 days, it is recommended that you return to your surgeon for an evaluation of the area.