FL

My 4yr old, 33lb daughter has the flu and an ear infection was prescribed amoxicillin 400mg/5ml with a dosage of 9ml twice a day. is this too high of a dosage?

Not particularly. Dosing is based on the type of infection and frequency of resistant strains. For an ear infection at that age 90mg/kg/d in 2 divided doses. That would calculate to 8.5 ml twice a day but 9 would be fine. The common germ for that is pneumococcus with some potential for resistance. It does seem like a lot, but I consider this the standard of care.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 38 years experience
A acute ear infection or Otitis Media is often treated with Amoxicillin 80 mg per kg per day. The Flu illness may be COVID 19 or another respiratory infection. Please screen for COVID-19 and a viral infection does not respond to antibiotics. Watch for signs of GI upset and review dosing with your Pediatrician.
Last updated Jul 1, 2022