my 56lb eight year old son was prescribed 12.5ml twice a day of amoxicillin. it is 400mg/5ml. does this sound to high dose for ear infection?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Deborah Ungerleider
36 years experience Pediatrics
That is the correct: dose for someone of your son's weight for an ear infection. There is a dosing range for Amoxicillin and for an ear infection that is 40-80mg/kg/day. We often use the higher dose for ear infections and that is exactly what was prescribed for him. I hope he feels better soon!
Answered on Apr 20, 2016
46 years experience Pediatrics
ITS FINE: Confusing isn't it.The dosing for this med is based on both patient weight and what you are treating. For some respiratory or urinary infections a smaller dose of 50mg/kg/d would be expected.For an otitis media, 80-90mg/kg/d is considered proper. Your dosage is appropriate for the diagnosis.The primary reasons for the difference is the difficulty getting the med into the space/germ resistance.
Answered on Nov 28, 2017