Rochester, Pennsylvania

I hurt my knee bowling 3 months ago and it was feeling better until running hard on it during emergency now it hurts bad again with ankle and foot swelling. is that swelling normal in foot and knee from injured knee?

Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Emergency Medicine 31 years experience
If there's no pain in the foot or ankle, then that swelling is called dependent edema and represents fluid from your knee being pulled down by gravity. You need a thorough exam of that knee by an orthopedist and an MRI. Your primary care doctor or an urgent care doc can refer you to an orthopedist and may order the MRI first. Knees are complicated and knowing the exact injury is important.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 24, 2022