U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Shreveport, LA
A 33-year-old female asked:

I believe i have a torn acl. i have swelling arty the knee and under the knee. now i've noticed from my hurt knee all the way down to my ankle my entire leg /chin/ankle is really swollen. this is new. is this due to the injury?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 31 years experience
Be seen: I would be seen. It could be a torn ACL or other ligament or cartilage, there could even be a component of a sciatica to your complaint; but when people begin to complain of swelling in the leg itself, a blood clot is a consideration as well. And, because that is potentially life threatening, you need to be seen to rule this out.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 9, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.