U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 20-year-old male asked:

I think i have hiv obsession or ocd. should i come to psychiatrist, psychologist or someone else. these thoughts are affecting my life so much?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 54 years experience
Perhaps start with a psychiatrist, who could provide medications to stabilize current turmoil. Counseling will add to benefits. Would recommend meditation regularly, but also aerobic exercises. All of these together should assist significantly. This can be turned around.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Patricia Allamon
Family Medicine 19 years experience
This is very common in your age group. I do recommend both a cognitive behavioral therapist and a psychiatrist to evaluate for therapeutic medications.
Apr 21, 2022
Last updated Apr 26, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.