A 36-year-old male asked:

Dear sir / madam , once pancrease gets damage from alcohol at the age of 35. does it recovers through medication along with alcohol intake stop permanently ? or no such recover case till today ? thank you?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 51 years experience
It depends on the extent of damage. Pancreas, like most organs has a considerable reserve capacity for producing insulin and digestive enzymes. It would be prudent to consult an endocrinologist for evaluation of the endocrine function and a GI specialist for the exocrine function. If it is damaged beyond a certain stage there are no medications for regrowing pancreas. Wish you good health!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Birendra Tandan
Urology 36 years experience
Alcohol can damage many organs in the body which depends on the duration, the amount taken and the body's capacity for recovery. So proper care under an endocrinologist should help recovery. 35 yr. age is young and not too old for recovery. Good luck
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 2, 2023


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.