U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Fairfax, VA
A 29-year-old male asked:

Lower back pain. its dull/ sharp when i lay down, and move in certain positions laying down/sitting. i do not feel any pain when im up and moving? maybe slight but not noticeable. is this muscle or bone related? 2/3 weeks pain. doc? chiropractor?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Berryman
Obstetrics and Gynecology 56 years experience
This inconstant pain, depending on "moving in certain positions " may come from injury or fracture of the coccyx, which is essentially not treatable except with pain medications. This can also arise from a herniated vertebral disc. See an orthopedic physician for appropriate imaging studies and treatment if possible.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Bettina Herbert
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
An osteopathic physician (DO) who practices manual medicine may be very helpful. This is also known as OMM or Neuromuscular medicine. Find one at the AAO, Cranial Academy or JamesJealous.com.
Nov 12, 2021
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Family Medicine 25 years experience
Since no mention of trauma/fall, your pain is likely muscular in origin--spasm--which is often more bothersome with inactivity--such as lying/sitting still for a little while. when you are up/moving about, the blood (food/oxygen) can get inside the muscles and thus can reduce the spasm/pain. Bone or disc troubles often cause more pain with activities. Stretching, warm massages should help.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 12, 2021
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.