U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 26-year-old female asked:

Over the past week, i was diagnosed with pyelonephritis for the first time. i have endometriotic nodules in the bladder-ureter junction. is a ct with contrast the best scan to evaluate if both conditions are related in any way?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Evan Kardon
Internal Medicine 40 years experience
I think urinalysis and urine culture and possibly renal and pelvic ultrasound may be preferable…Ct scan with contrast may be considered if contemplating surgery or malignancy is possible. Want to avoid radiation if possible.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 43 years experience
The pyelonephritis could be precipitated by the vesicoureteral lesion. Cystoscopy with retrograde pyelography will be the best for both diagnosis and treatment with less radiation. However, your urine has to be clean first after an antibiotic course.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 18, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.