San Jose, CA

I recently started eating around 70 g. per day of protein. was eating too little before, now eating healthy vegetarian diet. my bun was always on low end, today it's 20. still in range, but can my increase in protein make bun higher? should i worry?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
One of the most common reasons for an elevated BUN is hydration. If you take in more fluids, your BUN number will decrease. But, your number is still within the normal range so it is not worrisome. The timing of the blood test could also affect the number-you would expect a lower number after meals, for example, since you likely drank fluids. Eating healthy is good!! Best of luck to you!!
Pathology 49 years experience
A low BUN is not abnormal, it is good. There is no rationale for you trying to raise your BUN. For healthy diet: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/., exercise 30 minutes/day, drink enough water daily so your urine is mostly colorless, have safe sex, no tobacco alcohol weed or street drugs. Get Covid vaccine. Wish you good health!