My son is 14 year old boy.at 7 years old he had a head injury on the back, he didn't pass out so i didn't go to the er. he's in puberty and he's scared he is never going to get tall, as recorded he only grew 1 inch from 13-14. should i see a doctor?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Your best reference remains his pediatrician who would be able to plot his annual growth against peers his age. There is high variability in puberty as growth happens in spurts.

Answered 5/6/2021

0 views

Dr. James Ferguson answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

I doubt that a minor back injury has anything to do with his growth. If he only grew an inch in the past year he is likely near the end of growing taller. A single x-ray of his wrist/hand can detect open growth centers in his bones. If wide open he can grow taller, if closing he is near the end. If closed he is done. No diet/exercise or meds can change growth after growth centers close.

Answered 5/6/2021

0 views