U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Hong Kong
A 18-year-old male asked:

My son is 14 year old boy.at 7 years old he had a head injury on the back, he didn't pass out so i didn't go to the er. he's in puberty and he's scared he is never going to get tall, as recorded he only grew 1 inch from 13-14. should i see a doctor?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Internal Medicine 28 years experience
Your best reference remains his pediatrician who would be able to plot his annual growth against peers his age. There is high variability in puberty as growth happens in spurts.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
I doubt that a minor back injury has anything to do with his growth. If he only grew an inch in the past year he is likely near the end of growing taller. A single x-ray of his wrist/hand can detect open growth centers in his bones. If wide open he can grow taller, if closing he is near the end. If closed he is done. No diet/exercise or meds can change growth after growth centers close.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 6, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.