U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Burbank, CA
A 34-year-old member asked:

I have constant hip pain and muscle spasms in my thigh and calf with numbness in the outer half of my foot. what other tests besides mri should happen?

3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. William Scott
Specializes in General Practice
Nerve damage: What your experiencing is nerve damage. It will or may be permanent if the cause is not corrected. Nerve conduction velocity is needed to help determine this. I would get the MRI asap. Then have your physician refer you to a neurosurgeon and neurologist to get further evaluation. A normal MRI and abnormal nerve study may indicate a more severe condition in terms of a demyelinating process.
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 32 years experience
Phyisical exam: History and physical with your doc more important that plus the MRI should show the s1nerve impingment if present treatment follows diagnosis.
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care 37 years experience
Examination: Firstly a very complete physical exam. Some basic labs, plain (cheaper) x-rays directed at low back & pelvis. An emg/ncv is likely needed, based on information obtained the need for MRI ct or other studies may be determined.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jul 25, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.