WV

I was recently discharged after a bowel obstruction. i did not have surgery. i am curious to know what my recovery time should be on average and what i should watch for with my stool. also, when should i feel safe eating solid foods?

Pathology 49 years experience
It is not feasible to provide a meaningful opinion without additional history, physical examination and may be some tests. The doctors who examined you would be in a better position to address your questions and concerns. Wish you good health!
Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 42 years experience
Did you have a surgery in the abdomen before? Bowel obstruction is not common at your age but it can happen, especially if you have an abdominal surgery in the past. You will fully recover after 7-10 days and you should be able to resume your normal diet within 3 days after leaving the hospital. You are supposed to have a normal bowel movement after 2-3 days, nothing to watch.

Last updated Mar 24, 2021