I had gallbladder surgery last tuesday.had one stool thurs. i haven't had a bowel movement in 5 days. is this normal?

Dr. Buck Parker
General Surgery 19 years experience
Can be...: It's common to have constipation after any surgery, especially if you are taking any narcotic pain medication. The best think to do is to get some light activity (like walking 3 times per day). I also usually recommend to my patients over the counter Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) 30ml once in the morning and once at night. If you don't have a bowel movement in 48 hours you should see your doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jan 29, 2021