ZA

my 1 year old started coughing 8 hours ago and now his fever just went high to 39.6 degrees celsius. i gave him fenamin suspension for fever and prospen for cough. but fever is taking a bit of time to go down. he gets chills now and again?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
You should call your pediatrician to see what you should do next. If the baby starts having difficulty breathing or the fever doesn’t come down, you should go to an ER ASAP. Children can get very sick very fast so don’t hesitate to go to the nearest ER. Increasing fluids will help with the fever. Is there any chance of Covid exposure? If so, get the baby tested. Best of luck to you!
Dr. Deborah Ungerleider
Fever is a sign that his body is fighting an infection and is generally not dangerous; children often have fevers at that level. Make sure he is drinking plenty of fluids. If he is having difficulty breathing, persistent vomiting, not drinking fluids, or the fever persists, he needs to be examined...by his own doctor preferably, but if having difficulty breathing, please take him to the ER.