U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 64-year-old male asked:

Over last 3-4 years i have to push to make my voice come out often. it's like my throat closes. my voice comes out hoarse and soft. what kind of specialist should i see, an ent, a voice therapist, or ??? i never smoked, age 64?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 38 years experience
Speech and swallow: Recommend speech and swallow evaluation. You may have vocal cord dysfunction and/or irritation of the upper airway. A pulmonary function test may also be useful.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 12, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.