Canada

doc, can slit lamp examine optic nerve without use of dilating drops? also please tell me that if person with angle recession induced by injury has normal eye pressure in yearly checks. is it likely that history of injury is not leading to glaucoma?

Dr. Federico Mattioli
LASIK Surgery 25 years experience
Depending pupil size: If you have a large pupil it is possible to see the nerve. If the pupil is small, it is difficult to see the optic nerve at the slit lamp. Using even a weak dilating drop can allow for a better detailed view. Yes pressure can be normal after injury but it is always possible that glaucoma can develop after an injury so at a minimum yearly eye exams are needed.